Be It Ever So Slow...

Progress is being made.

From this:  to:




It looks done almost, doesn't it?! But of course, it's not done. I'd guess there's still probably about a cumulative foot of blank line to tackle, and it gets harder and harder to pick just the right colors for each section. This photo gives a pretty good sense of progress and it isn't too far off from the actual color balance of the piece- the background is a warmish cream color most like the right-hand side of this photo.

I have yet to figure out the right color balance setting on my camera to shoot with in the studio. I have indirect light coming in on the window which faces west (I get a real nice glare around 5-6pm), and overhead I have full spectrum bulbs in most of the track lighting, plus a fluorescent or two. Eventually the plan is to have all full-spectrum fluorescents because it gets pretty hot in the summer in the studio with the lights on. (And then come winter I'll curse myself when it's chilly and the lights don't warm things up). 

My canvas is 30"x 40".  Extra super awesomely the art supply store around the corner just started selling unfinished, sustainably harvested kiln dried, CA made douglas fir floater frames. WHOO HOO. And they aren't even that expensive overall. So I already have a frame for this baby even though she's still not done. 

Here's a detail shot of the painting. This is probably near to actual size on the average computer monitor and it explains why this has taken me FOREVER (I can only hope when people look at my work they take away at least one other interpretation than, "wow, that artist has control issues").




This shot shows some of my color balance photo issues- the above shot is too warm, this is too cool, but here's another tiny section of the painting being painted in tiny bits. 


Thankfully this weekend has room for two days of straight up painting, after many a weekend of life obligations that left little time for painting obligation. The studio is where I''m headed for day two after a cup of tea, a handful of toast with jam, and some serious hair washing. If anyone has any audiobook or podcast selections let me know! I mostly listen to Julie Klausner and Arcade Fire on endless loops that I'm sure are probably driving my neighbors insane. Poor other tenants.

As for the next works, I have tons of ideas, all in a surprising abstract vein and also I just bought myself a nice set of gouache paints...so....hmmm.... it will be that or actually getting back to my disaster series or maybe alternating works? This painting was just supposed to be a one time, decorate a blank part of my bedroom thing, but now I wonder if it's not the start of a series meant to contrast against the papercuts? SO MUCH TO DOOO. May your weekend be quite productive.


No comments:

Post a Comment