To and Fro*

Cats! You know I love Kara Walker. She just kills me. I haven't talked about Yoko Ono at all yet, but for the records, she also KILLS me. One time, during a stressful time of my life, I turned the corner and found myself inside one of her Wish Tree installations and it was so awesome to read the wishes and the hope.

John Lennon once said of Yoko Ono, "the world's most famous unknown artist: everyone knows her name, but no one knows what she actually does".

So the last week or so I've been strolling up and down the internet (to and fro) searching for ideas, and talks by artists and lo, I came across THIS! It's a talk with Yoko and Kara and it's AWESOME. I'm listening to it over and over again. There are two portions of the audio where Yoko is playing videos with no sound at 7-14:00 and 17:40-31:00 so you might want to skip that.
Google up "Cut Piece" to see Yoko's videos that she's displaying. Some powerful stuff happening there.

Image Source: Imagine Peace Website
Yoko and Kara really come from extremely different spectrums. The link for the moderator of the panel seems to be that they use scissors and have pieces at MOMA. I really appreciate hearing conversations between artists. First of all because they are usually very challenging- conceptwise. Secondly because they recognize and respect each other's different viewpoints- they really are fascinated by the love/hate differences between the two.

Anyway. Check it out. I've got about eleventy-bajillion things to say, but I'm going to try breaking it up into several blog posts, so as not to create unbroken swathes of babbling.

*And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. Job 1:7 Does anyone else love the book of Job like I love it? It's my favorite thing in the whole bible. The whole deal is so very buddhist with old testament spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment